Saturday 20 October 2007

Pike Fishing Techniques - Part One

There are various pike fishing techniques that really depends on the type of water you are fishing. I really focus on lake fishing, and as the season for Pike Fishing draws closely I'm looking at the various techniques I use to my advantage in the coming months.

Firstly, I need to mention "Dead-Baiting" which involves simply attaching a dead fish to a metal wire. Usually the 'trace' is made up of two treble hooks attached to a metal wire, however there is a growing tendency of using just one treble and and a large single hook. This is due to the reduction in damage to the Pike's mouth as well as making unhooking easier. I should also say that using semi-barbless and barbless hooks make unhooking easier as well.


So what kind of fish should you use on your trace? Well the most popular are Mackerel, Smelt and other sea fish. This is due to the fact that sea-fish have alot of oil and so the smell of the fish can spread quickly to the nearest pike! Although there are alot of other fish that make suitable candidates if your fishery is quite heavily fished. You could use eel, perch, roach or bream it just depends on what the 'natural' fish population is. I find that using these natural fish can increase my results. There is also the point that using a bigger bait will result in bigger Pike, since the smaller ones can't swallow it!


Stay tuned for more Pike Fishing techniques such as live-baiting and lure fishing. I will also mention the newest of Pike Fishing techniques: the Kebab!